Network vulnerability testing is a critical aspect of maintaining a secure IT environment. In this tutorial, we’ll explore the top 10 essential tools for network vulnerability testing, their features, and how to use them effectively.
Nessus is one of the most popular vulnerability scanners in the market. It’s known for its comprehensive database of vulnerabilities and user-friendly interface.
- Wide range of vulnerability checks
- Easy to use interface
- Regular updates
Wireshark is a free and open-source packet analyzer. It’s used for network troubleshooting, analysis, software and communication protocol development.
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
OpenVAS is a full-featured vulnerability scanner. Its capabilities include unauthenticated testing, authenticated testing, various high-level and low-level internet and industrial protocols, performance tuning for large-scale scans and a powerful internal programming language to implement any type of vulnerability test.
- Comprehensive and continuously updated vulnerability database
- Flexible and scalable architecture
- Powerful scripting language for custom tests
Nexpose, developed by Rapid7, is a vulnerability management scanner which aims to support the entire vulnerability management lifecycle, including discovery, detection, verification, risk classification, impact analysis, reporting and mitigation.
- Dynamic asset discovery
- Integrated threat feeds
- Automated actions for low-risk issues
QualysGuard is a web-based vulnerability management tool provided by Qualys, Inc, which was the first company to deliver vulnerability management services as a SaaS-based web service.
- Continuous monitoring and protection
- Automated web application scanning
- Integrated IT asset discovery and mapping
6. Retina CS
Retina CS is a vulnerability management software from BeyondTrust. It offers built-in patch management, compliance reporting and brings security and IT teams together to fix vulnerabilities faster.
- Integrated patch management
- Compliance reporting
- Support for cloud, mobile, virtual and desktop assets
SAINT is a commercial vulnerability scanner by SAINT Corporation. It can be used to assess network vulnerabilities, as well as for penetration testing and security policy compliance.
- Integrated vulnerability scanning and penetration testing
- Compliance reporting
- Web application scanning
8. IBM Security AppScan
IBM Security AppScan enhances web application security and mobile application security, improves application security program management and strengthens regulatory compliance.
- Automated dynamic security testing
- Static application security testing
- Mobile application security testing
9. Tripwire IP360
Tripwire IP360 is an enterprise-class vulnerability and risk management solution that enables cost-effective reduction of cyberthreat risk by focusing your remediation efforts on the highest risks and most critical assets.
- Asset discovery and profiling
- Automated vulnerability assessment
- Advanced threat intelligence
- DeepScan technology for accurate testing
- SDLC integration
- Comprehensive reporting
There you have it, the top 10 essential tools for network vulnerability testing. Remember, the key to effective network security is regular and thorough testing. So, choose the tools that best fit your needs and start securing your network today!